What is Happiness?Happiness is an emotional experience associated with the feeling of joy, excitement, pleasure, satisfaction, contentment and a sense of fulfilment. It is a state of mind that many aspire to, but few truly experience what it truly means to be happy. While external factors may influence happiness, true and lasting happiness comes from within one's mind.
Why Happiness Should Be a Major Pursuit in LifeIt is important for us to make happiness a pursuit because happiness is a fundamental requirement for our overall well-being. Being happy makes it easy for us to be focused and easily accomplish our goals.
"Where there is no happiness, success delays and relationship suffer violence." - Abas Obot
How can one be happy?The key to a lasting happiness is not a one-size-fits-all approach, but rather it comes from different factors. A lasting happiness is an ongoing journey that requires discipline, focus and dedication. It’s not something that can be achieved overnight, but rather by making small changes in attitude and beliefs over time.
This article explores the secret to a lasting happiness and how to be happy always. It covers the importance of laughter and forgiveness, the power of positive thinking, and the role of gratitude in promoting a happy lifestyle. We’ll also offer tips and advice on how to stay happy and contented on a daily basis.
Below are secrets to a lasting happiness and ways to be happy always:
1. Live in the Moment and Worry Not About the Future:
Thinking too much about the future can result in anticipatory anxiety or fear of the future. Also, worrying about the past instead of concentrating on your current moment is like taking yourself backward in time.
"Everything hangs on one's thinking. A man is as unhappy as he has convinced himself he is."- Seneca
The challenges of tomorrow should not be an issue to worry about. The fact you made it to this moment means that the future has greater things for you. Your current moment may define certain aspects of your future, therefore, focus on putting things right and leave the rest time life and time.
The only thing you stand to gain from worrying about the past or the future is losing your happiness and embracing constant sadness.
2. Do not Place Your Happiness on Something or Someone:Placing your happiness on something or someone is not dependable. Do not let your happiness rely on your business, friends, marriage or your belongings because any of those things can fail. Those things can bring happiness and can as well bring sadness based on your perspective.
The fact here is that when your happiness relies on external factors, people or material things, that happiness is not truly yours, it is borrowed, and you are prone to losing it.
3. Laugh as often as You can:
"A good laugh is sunshine in a house." - William Thackeray
Endorphins are peptides that when released interact with opioid receptors in the brain to trigger feeling of pleasure, relieving of pains and boosting of general well-being. Endorphin is also known to reduce stress, depression, and anxiety as well as boosting self-esteem. This means that laughing always can boost your positive mood and make you happy irrespective of challenges.
4. Cutdown Your Expectations:
"When you are prepared for circumstances, whatever circumstance brings your way would not be able to make you lose your happiness."
5. Find Inspiration from Helpful Resources:
6. Build a Happy Family Culture:
7. Win the Fight Against Addiction:
8. Avoid Hatred, Instead Love and Forgive Others:
Sometimes you may not even know why the feeling of sadness, but you might unconsciously nurturing anger that affects your mood. Seeing someone you hate can change the entire narrative of your day. In order to be happy, learn to forgive and let it go.
9. Seek Out Positive Experiences:
When you engage in activities that you derive passion and pleasure from, spend time at places you like staying, and meet people you love, you are likely to enjoy it and that alone will help to offer you internal happiness.
"Good experience gives hope, promote optimism and also make a life feels meaningful and worth living."
10. Practice Gratitude and Appreciation:Expressing gratitude helps us to be more mindful of our blessings and appreciate the world around us. Taking the time to count your blessings can have a powerful effect on your emotional well-being. Expressing gratitude for even the small things can make a difference in your attitude and outlook.
"Failing to appreciate the little you have means that you are not appreciating the more you will have."
An Italian author and philosopher, Nicholas Machiavelli once said that “Men are ungrateful, fickle, deceitful, cowardly and avaricious.” This supports the philosophical idea that man by nature is insatiable. This is presumed to be the reason most people cannot have a lasting happiness.
In order for you stand out and grab your copy of lasting happiness, you need to appreciate the little you and thank God for it. This will help you feel much better when you have more.
"If you can't derive happiness from the little that you have, owning an entire world wouldn't be make you happy either, because there is still a universe that you are yet to acquire."
11. Foster positive relationships and disconnect from toxic people:
If those surrounding you add up to your social pressure and make you feel you are losing in the relationship, then you have to quit it.
12. Be Positive and Optimistic:
Do you believe that everything in life has a good role to play? Yes, it all depends on the viewpoint. You can decide to see what you stand to gain instead of what you are going to lose. Read on how your thoughts influence your reality.
13. Do not Envy Others:Enviness is a term used to describe the feeling of envy or jealousy towards someone or something. It is often used to describe the feeling of wanting something that someone else has.
In traditional Christianity, envy is categorized among the greatest sins because it can lead to division, discord, hatred and many more. When you envy other people's achievement, you cannot be happy because you will find it hard to be satisfied with what you have. You would have a feeling of wanting to be like the other and even taking from them.
"Envy is like a hunter's arrow that only targets its owner while prey remains unharmed."-Abas Obot
When you envy others, you will lack satisfaction in what you have achieved which in turn will deny you a happy life. Being obsessed about what others have steals your happiness and can lead you into hatred, jealousy and bitterness. All of these deprive one happiness. Avoiding envy is one of the secrets to avoid hatred.
14. Find What You Love:Find activities that bring you joy and make you feel alive. Pursue your passions and make time for yourself to do the things you love. Passion brings satisfaction and happiness.
Besides making you happy, doing what you love is one of the attributes of highly successful people. Working for money alone cannot give you a life you want to live.
15. Focus on Your Strengths Over Your Weaknesses:Rather than dwelling on your weaknesses or shortcomings, focus on your strengths and the gifts that make you unique. This will boost your self-esteem and make you feel more confident.
The truth is that only a few people understand how much they are worth. We are in a society where people's values are measured based on factors that should not even matter. You may not be perfect but there is something unique and wonderful about you.
You are not the only one who have weaknesses, you know what? Everyone has weak point, everyone has imperfection. There is only one thing that makes you stand out among everyone for your imperfection: You are special, and your uniqueness is not from your imperfection but your strength. Once you realize this, try to make positive affirmations and speak words into your life; you will have great reason to be happy always.
16. Make Time to Take Care of Yourself:
Taking care of yourself can also involve setting boundaries with others and taking time for yourself to focus and unwind. Doing these things on a regular basis will help you to feel more balanced and fulfilled, and thus, happier. There is a great positive feeling in knowing you look good, dress nice and appear healthy.
17. Give Back to Others through Charity:Volunteer your time to help those in need. This is a great way to feel connected to the world and making a positive difference. Giving back to others through charity can bring lasting happiness.
Volunteering your time or donating money to a cause that is close to your heart can bring a sense of purpose and pride. This can be especially true if the course you are supporting is helping people in need or making a difference in the world in some way. Not only will you feel good about helping others, but you can also gain a sense of satisfaction knowing that you are making a difference in the lives of those who are less fortunate.
Additionally, when you give back to others, you are likely to receive a positive response in return, which can boost your own feelings of self-worth. This can lead to more meaningful relationships with those around you and a greater sense of belonging in your community.