50 Best Inspirational Quotes that Will Make You a Great Leader
Are you a leader or aspiring to become a leader? Are you currently blank on what to do to create an impact in your current leadership position? Are you doubting your ability to lead others?
We spent our time collecting these inspirational and motivational quotes from intellectuals who were successful in their careers and leadership roles. From great men of old like Alexander the Great to modern day leaders like Barack Obama and leadership experts like John Maxwell.
Leadership goes beyond winning the vote, entitlement, and gaining many followers. What matters in leadership is your ability to lead well. There cannot be a good leader without basic leadership qualities.
By reading through these quotes, your dream of becoming a great leader can be realized.
Great Inspirational Quotes that Define Leadership
1. “Leadership is influence.” – John C. Maxwell
2. “Leadership to me means duty, honor, country. It means character, and it means listening from time to time.” – George W. Bush
3. A leader knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way. —John Maxwell
4. Leadership is unlocking people's potential to become better. —Bill Bradley
5. Education is the mother of leadership. —Wendell Willkie
6. “I suppose leadership at one time meant muscles, but today it means getting along with people.” – Mahatma Gandhi
7. “A genuine leader is not a searcher for consensus but a molder of consensus” – Martin Luther King Jr.
8. Leadership is the capacity to translate vision into reality. —Warren Bennis
9. If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more, and become more, you are a leader. —John Quincy Adams
10. “Effective leadership is not about making speeches or being liked; leadership is defined by results, not attributes.” – Peter Drucker
11. "Leadership and learning are indispensable to each other. —John F. Kennedy
12. “Leadership is a potent combination of strategy and character. But if you must be without one, be without the strategy.” – Norman Schwarz
13. "I think one of the keys to leadership is recognizing that everyone has gifts and talents. A good leader will learn how to harness those gifts toward the same goal."—Ben Carson
Inspirational Quotes that Describe the Quality of a Good Leader
14. “I am not afraid of an army of lions led by a sheep; I am afraid of an army of sheep led by a lion.” – Alexander the Great
15. “The quality of a leader is reflected in the standards they set for themselves.” – Ray Kroc
16. "What you do has a far greater impact than what you say." —Stephen Covey
17. “Leadership is practiced not so much in words as in attitude and inactions.” – Harold S. Green
18. “A sense of humor is part of the art of leadership, of getting along with people, of getting things done.” – Dwight D. Eisenhower
19. “Innovation distinguishes between a leader and a follower.” – Steve Jobs
20. “A man who won’t die for something is not fit to live.” – Martin Luther King Jr.
21. “The nation will find it very hard to look up to the leaders who are keeping their ears to the ground.” – Sir Winston Churchill
22. "The hope of a secure world lies with disciplined nonconformists who are dedicated to justice, peace and brotherhood"—Martin Luther King Jr
23. “He who has never learned to obey cannot be a good commander.” —Aristotle
24. "Without passion, you don't have energy, without energy, you have nothing"—Donald Trump
25. “People buy into the leader before they buy into the vision.” – John Maxwell
26. “A great leader's courage to fulfill his vision comes from passion, not position.” —John Maxwell
27. “One must be convinced to convince, to have the enthusiasm to stimulate the others.” – Stefan Zweig
28. “The price of greatness is responsibility.” – Winston S. Churchill
29. “Earn your leadership every day.” – Michael Jordan
30"Creative power can pull down mountains of evil and level hilltops of injustice"—Martin Luther King Jr
31. “The employer generally gets the employees he deserves.” – J. Paul Getty
32. "Successful people don't have fewer problems"—Ben Carson
Inspirational Quotes that Describe the Roles of a Good Leader
33. "The very essence of leadership is that you have to have vision. You cannot blow an uncertain trumpet."—Theodore Hesburgh
34. “The growth and development of people is the highest calling of leadership.” —Harvey Firestone
35. “The function of leadership is to produce more leaders, not more followers.” – Ralph Nader
36. "A good objective of leadership is to help those who are doing poorly to do well and to help those who are doing well to do even better." -Jim Rohn
37. Outstanding leaders go out of their way to boost the self-esteem of their personnel. If people believe in themselves, it's amazing what they can accomplish. —Sam Walton
38. You manage things; you lead people. —Rear Admiral Grace Murray Hopper
39. Before you are a leader, success is all about growing yourself. When you become a leader, success is all about growing others.” —Jack Welch
Inspirational Quotes on How to Lead
40. “Never give an order that can't be obeyed.” —General Douglas MacArthur
41. “You have to lead people gently toward what they already know is right.” – Phil Crosby
42. “Don’t find fault, find a remedy.” – Henry Ford
43. “A ruler should be slow to punish and swift to reward.” —Ovid
44. “Get the best people and train them well.” – Scott McNealy
45. "Aim for the highest"—Andrew Carnegie
46. “Time is neutral and does not change things. With courage and initiative, leaders change things.” – Rev. Jesse Jackson
47. “When you can’t make them see the light, make them feel the heat.” – Ronald Reagan
48. "A right delayed is a right denied"—Martin Luther King Jr
50. “It is better to lead from behind and to put others in front, especially when you celebrate victory when nice things occur. You take the front line when there is danger. Then people will appreciate your leadership.” – Nelson Mandela
"In the end you are judged by not how much you undertake but by what you finally accomplish" —Donald Trump
You are a leader. You have the leadership quality in you. You can do it; yes, you can. No one is born with every potential to rule. Leaders are made, not born. If you begin to build yourself and are determined to make a change, you can go beyond the reach of your shadows. Begin to see yourself today as a leader and educate yourself on how to lead better and you will realize how far you can go in life.
“If you work hard and meet your responsibilities, you can get ahead, no matter where you come from, what you look like or who you love.” — Barack Obama
Great men of old like Alexander the Great Nelson Mandela, Mahatma Gandhi, Martin Luther King Jnr, George Washington among others were humans like you but had their names embedded in gold through their leadership exploits. Many of them rose from lowly backgrounds with narrow history but fought again their past into success. Who knows? You can be greater than them if you begin your journey today.
You can also read on positive and inspirational quotes that can boost your drive to succeed in life.